Here are Scorebook Live’s Top 25 California high school football rankings for the week of September 30. Our statewide rankings are released every Monday throughout the 2019 high school football season. The rankings are compiled by Scorebook Live California reporters Connor Morrissette, Bodie DeSilva and Lance Smith.
- Related: How the Top 25 fared last week
1. Mater Dei (5-0) vs. Orange Lutheran
A few days after committing to Alabama, Bryce Young gave Crimson Tide fans a glimpse of his immense talent, completing 26-of-37 passes for 416 yards and 5 TDs in a 53-24 win over St. John’s (Washington DC) Friday. What will Young do against Orange Lutheran?
2. St. John Bosco (5-0) - at #14 Servite
The Braves were on the bye ahead of the start of Trinity League play.
3. De La Salle (5-1) - at Monte Vista
The Spartans ran away from St. Mary’s in the second half, winning 55-17. Now they face their final regular season road game of the season at Monte Vista.
4. Mission Viejo (6-0) - at El Toro
One of the best defenses in the state had another dominant performance in a 38-3 win over Upland on Friday.
5. Helix (4-1) - vs. El Capitan
Elelyon Noa rushed for 276 yards and 4 TDs in Helix's 42-17 win over Oaks Christian. There isn't a better running back in Southern California.
6. Cathedral Catholic (5-1) - vs. Point Loma
QB DJ Ralph threw two TD passes and ran for another and Zavien Watson added a pair of TD runs as the Dons rolled 63-0 over Otay Ranch on Friday.
7. Corona Centennial (3-2) - vs. Santiago
Don’t expect Corona Centennial to drop another regular season game with Big VIII play beginning.
8. JSerra (4-1) - vs. Santa Margarita
The Lions had the week off before the start of Trinity League play.
9. Grace Brethren (5-0) – vs. Bishop Diego
The Lancers couldn't stop Westlake QB Marco Siderman (434 yards, 5 TDs), but Westlake had no answer for RB Josh Henderson who rumbled for 273 yards and five TDs in Grace's 49-35 win last Friday.
10. Narbonne (5-1) – at San Pedro
Alonso Person -- a sack, an interception and a fumble recovery TD -- spearheaded a dominant defensive effort by the Gauchos in their 28-0 win over Lawndale.
11. Folsom (4-1) - vs. Rocklin
QB Jake Reithmeier threw two TD passes and rushed for two -- all in the first half -- as the Bulldogs cruised past Menlo-Atherton 49-0.
12. St. Augustine (4-1) - at Morse
The Saints were off last week following their 44-38 defeat to #5 Helix.
13. Corona del Mar (5-0) – at Huntington Beach
CDM beat a good San Clemente team 42-21 on Thursday. The victory gives the Sea Kings a strong chance to go undefeated in the regular season.
14. Servite (4-1) – at #2 St. John Bosco
Servite beat #21 Notre Dame Sherman Oaks 16-13 on Friday behind their star-studded sophomore class. Second-ranked St. John Bosco awaits.
15. Serra Gardena (4-1) – at Loyola
Serra drops a spot in the rankings after a 13-7 win over Cathedral. Chad Johnson Jr. torched the Cavaliers for eight catches and 132 yards.
16. Alemany (5-0) – vs. #18 Bishop Amat
Alemany has had two weeks to prepare for Damien Moore and #16 Bishop Amat.
17. Calabasas (4-2) - vs. Westlake
Calabasas beat Valencia 35-7 last Friday. The Coyotes play Marmonte League foe Westlake this week, the team that nearly upset Grace Brethren.
18. Bishop Amat (4-1) – at #16 Alemany
Bishop Amat has had two weeks to prepare for undefeated #16 Alemany.
19. Sierra Canyon (5-1) – at Crespi
QB Chayden Perry threw for 192 yards and two TDs as the Trailblazers won their third consecutive game 31-10 over Bakersfield Friday.
20. Central (Fresno) (5-0) - at Buchanan
QB Jameson Silva and the Grizzlies spent the bye week preparing for Buchanan.
21. Notre Dame Sherman Oaks (4-1) – at Chaminade
Sean Guyton had a terrific all-around game for Notre Dame, but the Knights suffered their first loss of the season, falling 16-13 to #14 Servite.
22. La Habra (3-2) – vs. Buena Park
The Highlanders won’t lose a game the rest of the way with Freeway League play starting Friday.
23. Upland (3-2) – vs. Damien
Upland had a tough time against #4 Mission Viejo on Friday falling 38-3. They’ll look to take their anger out on Baseline League teams beginning Friday with Damien.
24. Liberty (Brentwood) (6-0) - vs. Antioch
The Lions’ lone remaining test will come against Pittsburg on Oct. 18.
25. Serra (San Mateo) (4-0) vs. Bellarmine College Prep
QB Daylin McLemore had three rushing TDs in Serra's win over Riordan. The Padres will keep the Baxter Trophy for another year.